Sunday, September 4, 2011

the power of a smile

Josh, smiling...doesn't it just make you happy?



If you read my blog, you know I work out everyday
at a gym with mostly old(er) people.


Most of them are kind and happy and make me smile.


There is one lady though that really scares  me.


She is a "tough customer."


I've seen her everyday now since January and she is
always intent on what she is doing, with a very 
serious look on her face.  Never a smile.


And that's fine.  It is a serious job we're doing
there.  And it involves lots of sweating and
concentration.


However, MOST of the other people I've "met" over
the past 9 months smile at me every morning.


I try and smile back.  Morning and exercise are
possibly not my best combination, but I do try.


Well, the other day I was "running late" (which means
a few past my 8:30 on the dot arrival).  If I don't
make it then, someone steals my elliptical and it 
makes me grumpy.  It's mine--don't they realize that?


Anyway, this lady who I usually see racing around the
track was actually passing me on the stairs.


I was starting my day, headed up the stairs.  


She was finished, and heading down.


I looked up at her and smiled a hello.


And miracle of all miracles, SHE SMILED BACK.


The smile changed her whole face.


She wasn't scary anymore.  In fact, she looked quite
nice.  Like someone I would want to get to know.


The power of a smile is amazing.


It can break the ice, melt a heart, change the world.


And now, every day since then, we both pass each 
other and smile.


It's powerful.


Take a minute and smile at someone this week you may
not normally smile at, it will make their day.


It may even make YOUR day too.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Check out my blog lizascrazylife.blogspot.com and follow it its really funny and comment and this is Eliza Dorien's daughter if you didn't know