Sunday, January 23, 2011

vanity at its finest

ok, i admit it.  i am vain.  this week i have
scheduled an appointment with grace's orthodontist.

and no, not just because he's tall. or handsome.
well, mostly he's just tall. and nice.

really.

i could have scheduled an appointment with a plastic
surgeon.  i have body parts in dire need of
an adjustment that could be fixed with a visit
to a surgeon. 

but of ALL the things i am the most vain about
it would be my teeth.

seriously? 

seriously!

i wore braces for two years from age 13 to age 15.

i wore headgear at night.

i was possibly THEE MOST homely 7th grade girl
in existence.  my children STILL make fun of
my 7th grade picture.  (gimme a break and give
yourself 20 years or so and then tell me how
you feel about YOUR 7th grade picture children!)

after the torture of being called "brace face"
and "metal mouth" by all the cool, pretty and
popular girls who had straighter, prettier, and
whiter teeth than me...the day for brace
removal arrived.

my teeth were revealed in all their glorious
straightness.  man were they lovely.

i loved them.  seriously.  i was in love.

this "buck toothed beaver" had emerged a swan.

so NOW at the ripe old age of 40 something
or other, the darn things have started that
mid-life SHIFT.

how dare they? 

so i decided to call the orthodontist and
schedule an appointment to at least SEE
what could be done.

braces?

a retainer?

i don't know for sure what his verdict will be.

nor do i know the cost (which will REALLY be
the final vote here).

but i DO KNOW, that my vanity got the best of me
in this instance.

i will let you know how it all turns out.

cuz you're dying to know, right?

3 comments:

Amy said...

I felt the same way, so I went to the orthodontist and he told me they would have to break my jaw!!! No thanks, I will have to endure the fangs that I have.

nielsons*love*family said...

crap! well no jaw breaking here amy. i am hoping a CHEAP retainer will fix it...if not i think i am stuck w/shifting teeth...

Amelia said...

I have always wished I could get braces for my bottom teeth. Oh well. At least my top teeth are straight!