Saturday, January 29, 2011

ode to january


A friend of mine recently posted
on his blog how his son woke up
and looked outside at our foggy,
inversion covered valley and
asked the question, "Is this
what heaven looks like?"

I shuddered and said "Oh PLEASE!
NO! send me straight to hell if
this is what heaven looks like."

Seriously!
NO, seriously!

(and just as an aside:  what if the
phrase "Go to hell!" actually has
NOTHING at all to do with the
devil and his brood all hanging
out together in their molten lava
pit of despair?  WHAT IF this
phrase were invented on some dark,
dreary winters day in the far
reaches of time.  Oh lets say
in the Salt Lake Valley before the
invention of houses and heat and windows.

And flush toilets.

Or in New York City following a blizzard
when the early settlers of our great
country were sitting around a
roaring fire, dreaming of perhaps
being the first settlers of
HAWAII instead of New England?
What if on one of those cold and
dreary nights someone leaned over to
their comrade and said "Oh just go
to hell!"  and instead of thinking
of Satan, they were thinking of the Sahara?
(desert that is)....

See, so maybe it wasn't a bad thing-
maybe it was just a nice way of saying

"Go warm yourself!"

I'm only saying, you never know!
And mostly this is tongue in cheek--so
just have a little laugh with me, OK?)

Back to my post...

I loathe January and all
the dreary, depressing, sunless,
cold, frigid, inversion layered,
foggy, wet, dripping days.

Recently I went to breakfast
with some girlfriends.  They
were feeling even more depressed
with this month than I!
There were tears, stories of
reclusively staying at home,
sad stories, depressing stories, 
and more. (Could there BE more?)
I said we needed to head south
and warm next January for a fun
trip in search of the sun.
I'm not sure if anyone
really agreed or not--but I
do know as we were leaving
the restaurant the sun
WAS shining!  If only for a
brief and fleeting moment.
But we saw sun and know that it
does exist beyond all of
this awful gunk somewhere
out there.

Yes Virginia, there REALLY
IS
a sun!  Do you believe?

So, with only two days left
in the month here is my
ODE TO JANUARY...



You Suck!



(yes, that's it!  you were
expecting more?  well, that's it!)

No comments: