Sunday, January 16, 2011

columbia (the nyc one, not south american one) trip #1

Where he goes to class
Central Park in the snow...
The Rock, Christmas Tree

I think this is called Conservatory Garden in Central Park...
it is REALLY pretty here.

Conservatory Garden still, we took Grace's picture here
on a beautiful fall Sunday.

Central Park covered in snow, it looks so haunting compared
to the last time I saw it in the fall.  Beautiful (yet, cold)


Bagel shop.  Morning Bagel, Dt. Coke
and free WIFI
Anziano (Elder) Nielson and Forston...I was worried they
would have nothing to talk about after 20 years--but they spent
3 hours talking non stop.  I guess that's a sign of a good friend--
even after 20 years!
Last weekend Kyle took the red eye out on Thursday night to Manhattan.  It's getting to feel like
our 2nd home.  It was his first of 7 trips to Columbia and the Big Apple for his class.  He
grabbed the subway and headed to the Wilcox apartment to drop his bags off, then headed
to campus to find his way around.  It was snowing, but fortunately for him not BLIZZARD
snowing as it had been a few weeks back in NYC.

He stopped by a bagel place after finding his classroom (he is WAY up at about 176th for
class.)  The Wilcox's live at 116th (the main Columbia campus).  He had all day for an
adventure and did what he likes best....walked.

All around Central Park and down to Rockefeller Center (the tree was STILL up that
far into January--I was excited he got to see it).  He texted me every step of the way.

In fact, I got so many texts and pictures that Friday, my phone broke....(it probably
wasn't the texting--but it still broke.  I was like a fish out of water w/no cell phone, no
husband and 2 teens that ONLY keep me up to date via texting.)  I was a little panicked.

Kyle met with Scott Forston (last picture) for dinner.  Scott served his mission with both of
us in Italy (Milan) and was Kyle's companion.  They both saved me (literally) from a suicidally
crazy nut job Italian companion in Genova and Scott and I ended our missions together in Modena. 
People you serve missions with are like family for life.  (well, except those companions you
never want to see again--we all have one of those--mine crazy one from Genova.)

After our missions Scott and I ended up at BYU together and when Kyle got home the
three of us were constant companions.   Kyle and Scott talked for 3 hours playing
"catch up" while I sounded in every so often via text or phone call wishing I could
have been there too.

Saturday Kyle had class all day.  He said it is GREAT and he loved it.  They have
actual homework (ask him how much this week--he's feeling the stress of school
again at the moment) and conference calls with study groups.  His group consists
of people from all over the USA.

I laughed when he told me that the second he said he was from Utah the first question
was (of course!)  "Oh are you a Mormon?" (you just don't get that too often in Utah
obviously!).  He said that was VERY QUICKLY followed up by...."Well it sure
seems like all you Mormons and people from Utah are VERY NICE!"  (that's good
right?)

Saturday night he was going to tend for Adam and Amy to give them a "free night" out.
Babysitters in NYC start at $20 AN HOUR (and that's CHEAP).  But they ran
into a conflict at the last minute and sent Kyle out by himself while they cleaned up.
(kid stuff).

Sunday Kyle went to church w/Amy and the 4 kids to give her a hand (Adam is
the Bishop of the singles ward there--)  so Amy was thrilled to have some
help for a Sunday.  After church Kyle visited some historic churches that he
had been dying to see.  He packed up and headed back to us Sunday night.
(after sitting on the tarmac at JFK for 2 1/2 hours...crazy long delay--he was off)

The only thing I begged for was a black and white cookie.  He also brought home
a big box of cupcakes (recommended by our friend Scott) from Billy's Bakery.

Next trip February.

I am hoping to go with him on the April trip ....by then it should be warm enough
for me to be happy.  Trying to find a willing victim, I mean helper,
 to watch the four kidlets.

2 comments:

JGEM said...

First of all, what fun. I'm totally jealous. And 2nd of all that mission story where Kyle saved you sounds like a good one. Hope you enjoyed the cookie!

nielsons*love*family said...

i'm totally jealous too jamie!
oh and it's a good story. it would be the funniest w/kyle, scott and i all telling how i marched me and the crazy comp. straight into the elders apt. one night (totally against mission rules!) and her immediate transfer the enxt day--except wait--that sounds like I'M the crazy one.
(HA HA) someday i have to type up the full story--my kids have heard it enough.