Wednesday, August 12, 2009

under construction...



I am pretty sure our entire city, as in every single street EVERYWHERE, is under construction.

Every which way I turn, there are more men holding "SLOW DOWN" signs, dressed in orange, than I can count.

There are diggers and dozers and flatteners and dumpers.

There are piles of rock, sand, and road. Chunks of debris and orange cones.

There are men standing around talking about their upcoming trips to Hawaii (I know this for a fact, as I overheard one of them right outside my home, in my very own driveway, where there is ALSO a big hole preventing me from driving in and out.)

Sidenote: Who knew I would miss my driveway so much, and the use of it? I DO!

They are ripping up roads that look perfectly great to my untrained eye.

Pretty soon, the hope is that everything will all be put back together. Nice and orderly and pretty. I will be able to drive my car without falling into a crater, and the roads will be fully functional again.

The question is WHEN will all of this fall into place?

Because I have been watching out my window, and I have seen a lot of standing around, heard lots of idle chit chat, and been witness to some exceedingly LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG lunch breaks.

BUT, we have been assured and re-assured that our streets, roads, and lanes will all be put back together at some point in the future.

So, we wait and watch and hope.

In this way, I feel like MY life is under construction.

It kinds feels like my torn up driveway right now, sort of left in a big mess.

We keep standing around, and talking to people, and trying to put it back together. We have brought in our diggers and loaders and dumpers (maybe glue and tape would be better?)and are working hard at reconstructing things.

We keep waiting and watching and hoping, and although the end is not in sight *YET* (bare? bear? with me and my construction metaphor!) we are hopeful that, soon, we will be driving past this construction and onto a smooth road once again.

And that things will once again be nice and orderly and pretty!


(well, they never are REALLY all of those things at once, but we would take "orderly" if it were secret code for "new job.")

was it too much? my metaphor?

we keep telling kyle if all else fails, he may just look HOT in orange! AND there certainly seems to be no shortage of people working road construction.

Here is to things under construction, the roads and my life.

2 comments:

Heather said...

ugh. our town was under construction for YEARS. it's done now...so easy to drive without barricades and detours everywhere.

as for other things...i am so sorry that your family is facing the challenge it is. i adore your family and it is so not fair that this has happened. keeping you in my prayers...

nielsons*love*family said...

thanks heather....
here's the thing, life is full of construction (am i over using my metaphor? LOL!!)
if it's not this (job loss) it is something else...
we just keep pluggin' along!
you are a great GREAT example of that to ME!
xo