Saturday, July 25, 2009

need vs. want...


we rarely have "treats" at our house....
one of our favorites is a Red Vines mixed bag.
black licorice for me, red for everyone else.
what we really WANT right now is some licorice.
what we really NEED right now is a big 24 pack of toilet paper.
Having no job sort of clarifies,
QUICKLY, for you NEEDS and WANTS.
TODAY, we want and need toilet paper at the store, the licorice will have to wait.
NEEDS: gas in car, electric bill payments, groceries.
WANTS: going out to dinner and movies, buying snow cones in the summer, licorice.
i am feeling a tad bit blue today (only natural, i hope its ok if i blog about it)
i feel like my 3 new best friends are: fear, worry and doubt.
unlike my other friends,who come and go, they seem to be present at all times now. NO, they are not always dominating my thoughts and mood, but they like to wait quietly in the dark corners of my house, and mind, and then sneak in when they think no one is looking. they linger around and toss bad thoughts at me like rotten apples.
"will kyle ever find another job?"
"no one is finding a job right now."
"how will we pay the bills?" "the mortgage?" "buy groceries?"
"what if someone gets hurt, or sick?" (no health insurance either!)
the truth is kyle and i do everything we can to dwell on the positive, but these sneaky guys are really good at doing just that...being SNEAKY.
so i do the only thing i know how to, and i say a little prayer. i ask my heavenly father to just help me make it through. i don't know how long, or how deep this "trial" will run for us. but i pray for the strength to keep going and to find the joys and blessings in each day.
Someday i hope to say that hope, faith, and love conquered
fear, worry, and doubt.
until then, off to shop for some needs...everybody has 'em.
ours our just a bit different today than they were one week ago.
POST EDIT: oh my! thank you to all the good Samaritans, both known and unknown today! a gal can hardly feel sorry for herself with people like you out there! i am afraid to blog about this continued adventure for fear of what may show up on my doorstep.
although....if i am ever feeling like a chocolate shake, i will be SURE to blog about it!
todays new blessings: people who read my blog and bring toilet paper and licorice.
NEEDS & WANTS filled today!
bless you,
thank you,
from the bottom of our hearts.

3 comments:

6deans said...

I just want you to know I think it is SO, SO crappy that Kyle lost his job...couldn't they have given you notice before your beach trip...or actually maybe that would have ruined your trip. I am definatley thinking about you guys and including you in my prayers. I will go donate plasma anytime with you Dorien...it really isn't that bad. I will call you tomorrow because I am dying to hear what the he** happened with Kyle's job. Remember to keep the faith...you guys are an awesome family and good things happen to good people :)

stacy said...

Love your honesty! We all have our trials and it is good to share so that we know we are not alone. Also, when you share... people share with you (like licorice... so great).

The "K" in JKD said...

Just heard the awful news. Been there, done that. It really sucks! I will keep you in our prayers! Love ya! I am glad you got to go on your dream vacation before all of this happened!