Monday, October 3, 2011

5....6...pick up sticks!

Well, not sticks but a few more stories of Josh.

#5.  Josh, while at first appearing to be reserved and quiet, 
is actually one of the funniest people we know.


His humor is quick and dry and sarcastic.  Often we
are told from other people of his humorous ways.


He has a quick remark when you least expect it and
some fairly predictable remarks as well.  


His humor is also apparent in any family picture session.


Think Zoolander.









#6.  Josh is REALLY smart.  I am not bragging, I am 
proud.  (I also sometimes want to kick his butt!)  He
often tells us that the grades he makes (mostly "A's",
his GPA hovers around a 3.8 to 4.0 depending on the
AP and gifted classes he's taking during the current
semester.)...anyway, he often tells us these grades
are achieved with NO to LITTLE study (which is sadly true!)


I always reply "Just think how great it would be IF
you DID actually study."  Although there is not much to
improve on.


It seemed to start in 1st grade with his fabulous 
teacher Trish Saccamomo of Highland Park Elementary.


After "gifted" testing and placement that year, she
caught my arm in the hall to tell me she had never had
a 1st grader test so high.  He was reading at AT LEAST
a 7th grade level.  (Whatever that means, right?)


She even gave him special spelling words 
to keep him challenged each week.


The first, and perhaps MOST memorable was:



Antidisestablishmentarianism.


Which of course he got right on the first try.

The weird thing about Josh's intelligence (to me) is
that is seems most people are more "left" or "right"
brained.

More mathematical and scientific, or more creative 
and artsy.

This kid does it all.  Plays the piano (mostly self 
taught),artistic (again mostly self taught), 
excels at essay writing in AP classes and yet 
also aces AP science and math tests.

Does that make him BOTH brained?  I must also
add that sadly, he got NONE of it from me!  Maybe
it skips a generation?  I personally think it is
one of the "gifts" he was blessed/born with.

I keep telling him he is destined to be something great
in this life if he only puts his MIND to it!

No comments: