Thursday, April 7, 2011

surgery highlights

1.  Urine analysis ("Why?" I asked)
To make sure you're not pregnant they answered.
We had a good laugh.


2.  Xanax is NOT strong enough to calm
your nerves on surgery day.  Although
it did keep my blood pressure in the
"normal range" which is a plus.


3. The only "breakdown" I had was in the O.R.
when they started strapping my arms down (in
case I involuntarily wanted to stop them from
slicing into my neck once I went under).  
I had a little tear (or two). 
The sweet nurse held my hand,
the anaesthesiologist knocked me out and I
have no memory of them strapping down
my other arm or cutting into my neck.


THANK GOODNESS!  (I did mention to Kyle that
20/20 show they aired last year where the lady
was "awake" during her whole surgery....WHY OH
WHY? do they do those shows?)



4.  Waking up in recovery, alive! and sick
as a dog.  Apparently anaesthesia causes
me great nausea.  Even TWO kinds of anti-
nausea drugs didn't help.  Scalpel to neck
plus throwing up = a painful combo.


Thankfully it passed.


5.  Being done!  Nothing better than knowing
I had made it through and was still alive.
Am I the only one to have that irrational fear?
Of dying on the table?  4 kids will do that
to you.




I am pretty sore and tired (mostly just sore),
on some good drugs, my neck is pretty ugly and
swollen, but that too will pass. (HOPEFULLY!
sooner than later).


I am in pain, but not as much as I thought I 
would be in (don't get me wrong, I hurt--just
not excruciatingly bad).


On the lookout for some cute scarves to cover
this mess.  


Today I "get to" remove the gauze covering and
take it right down to the cut on my neck...I think
I may pass out.


Kyle is on duty for that one.


That is my post-op update for now.  


One right thyroid lobectomy done for now!


I have some Sharpie lines running across my throat
and a triple chin from swelling...but am counting
my blessing for a great surgeon who has gifted
hands.


Two thumbs up for all the staff that helped me
at LDS Hospital as well.  My stay from start
to finish was complimented with EXCEPTIONAL
customer service.


Off to lay in my bed with my new BFF (the Ice
Pack).


Thanks (again) for all the texts, calls, well
wishes, food, love, support, movies, food, books,
did I mention food?


It means a lot!  (Especially to my children who
like to eat.)


Hugs and Kisses,


Sincerely,
Mrs. Frankenstein 



3 comments:

JGEM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JGEM said...

I am glad it went as well as it did. Good luck with the next few weeks.

Libbi said...

Hope you're feeling better soon. Doesn't sound fun. Enjoy the "medicine". I'll have to share some pictures of my frankenstein scar that I had on my forehead back in November.

You can barely see it now - yeah!
Rest well.