Monday, September 21, 2009

on autumn baking, why i wanted my son to be a nerd!, and WHO the *&@#$ invented confetti?














I am a fool for baking. I love to try new things and I love the smells of breads, soups (not baking actually) and goodies warming up my senses and kitchen on autumn and winter days.
In the summer I do not cook, it is against the rules to heat up the kitchen--we have "summer menu's" and "winter menus"--if you EVER want a good meal, come to my house in the fall or winter. (otherwise you may be eating cold cereal).
Once again this weekend, my home was filled with loud (bomb building and firecracker setting off) teenage boys. It is a well known fact that teenagers eat a lot. Apparently none of these boys have a mother who bakes cupcakes? or they know I am a sucker for a compliment.
After the last sprinkle was in place and the cupcakes were laid out all "PRETT*I*LY" on my cake platter, the boys came along with phrases like, "WOW! those sure look pretty!" and "I wonder how they taste?"
Hint taken, the boys were told to eat the cupcakes. In less time than it takes a piranha to chow down on a school of fish, these boys had finished off 24 mini cupcakes with gusto! I've got to hand it to them, the noises they made sounded like something from the movie "What About Bob?" You know the scene when Bob is eating homemade dinner on the porch..."OHHHHHHHHHH! Mrs. N, these are SOOOOOOOO good." "YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!"
well, you get the picture, right? It is often used as one of our "overkill" jokes here at home. (meaning WE sit around the kitchen table re-enacting that scene at meal times.)
I see more cupcakes, and baked goods in my son's friends future!
Next item of business....
"Lettuce Head" to the dance together--how my son was answered for Homecoming. by the girl HE asked. (his "asking" was an oldie but goodie--a bag of Goldfish crackers with his *J* *O* *S* *H* letters written on 4 of the fish...saying "out of all the fish in the sea, i'm asking you to to dance with me". awwwwwwwwwwwww, cute!
--the "awwww" was me, not part of the asking!)
Next item of business...
Apparently 2 weeks after Homecoming is ANOTHER dance at the High School.
The Halloween "MONSTER MASH". (girls choice this time).
Josh was asked last night to the dance by loud ringing of the doorbell and banging on the door at 10:14 PM--do these people know he has smallish sibblings that like to sleep at that hour? not to mention his old mother?
(i had picture/camera malfunctions and will get the picture posted soon)...
The "asking" consisted of my front steps being laden with a poster board filled with mashed up potatoes, about 365 bags of glitter confetti (which has now somehow been tracked into every crevice of my home...I will be vacuuming it up for weeks to come. What sadistic fool invented the stuff??) a "Monster" energy drink, and a sign begging the boy to come.
I have paused to consider the fact that I would be very much OK with a nerdy, pimply, ugly son right now that does not even look at girls for the next, OH! 24 years--but alas! that is not to be.
I think girls like him...and it's not just me and his sisters anymore.

2 comments:

Laura said...

The blogs are bound to be a good read with Josh on the dating scene... and I even know some of the kids, which makes it more exciting! (Who asked him to Homecoming?)

nielsons*love*family said...

HE asked whitney to homecoming.

some other girl (an evergreen person--can't remember who) asked HIM to the girls choice Monster Mash.

mix n match?