Sunday, February 1, 2009

stuck....and we mean it!


amid the rushing of the "48" hours post, if you read all the details, you will notice something about Grace being STUCK in an elevator.
well, she was.
stuck.
as i was casually entering the "EAST" ward building with Josh and the remaining children that belonged to me on Wedenesday night (after watching Josh finish up HIS ward ball game), i noticed a rather large cluster of people gathered around an elevator. THE elevator.
i had a few thoughts...
#1 thought was "wow! i didn't know there was an elevator here."
#2 thought "hmmm, wonder why all those mom's are THERE, instead of watching the girls play basketball."
...at WHICH POINT i was grabbed by the girls Young Womens leader, cute (j.jill model) Amy Jeffries
The conversation went something like this....please don't quote me exactly, i have memory issues.
Amy: "they are stuck in the elevator!"
me: "they who?"
Amy: "Grace, Andie, Ellie and Jada"
me: "giggle giggle" (i always seem to giggle at the most inappropriate moments.)
the rest is a sort of a blur...that went something like THIS: (retold in the world's longest run on sentence!)
i remember Hank Holt yelling down to the girls through the doors "it's OK, it will be OK ellie". A member of the Stake Presidency was on the phone getting emergency instructions on how to "unstick" the elevator, a few men were reading "how to" manuals on elevators, mom's were milling, Josh thought it was hilarious his sister was STUCK, i seemed to keep giggling (in my defense, it is a mechanism which keeps me sane in stressful situations) Amy and Jill were trying to find a way to work the experience into a teaching moment for upcoming Young Womens lessons, we could hear the girls singing and talking in the elevator, they seemed to have no food, but enough air to sustain life indefinately, we all silently worried about what would happen if there were any bathroom emergencies, and Josh kept expressing the desire that they remain STUCK overnight. (ah the love of a big brother!). the whole thing sort of reminded me of all those "how many Relief Society sisters does it take to screw in a light bulb" jokes, which i think i mentioned to someone at some point--and received a few blank stares. (why am i ONLY funny to myself??)
End of story...they all got out, after ONE HOUR, all the girls seemed to have all their body parts still attatched and we sent them off to finish their ward ball game (which, by the way, HAD NOT been delayed for this emergency situation--the game MUST go on, i suppose!)
the game ended with a dismal score of 44 to 6 (yup, we lost).
lessons learned:
#1. when playing in the elevators at the ward house--do not enter with 4 girls intent on "jumping"--it can, and in this case WILL, cause the elevator to become STUCK.
#2. keep singing in times of stress.
#3. never count on your big brother to rescue you from an elevator.
#4. forgive your mother if she giggles under stress.

6 comments:

The "K" in JKD said...

okay, it was my fault, the game started anyway. We figured that there were enough girls not stuck in the elevator (I was giggling too, I still do whenever I think about it) to still play. BTW...I love reading your posts. They always make me smile!

janae said...

I would die of claustrophobia!!! I am glad they made it out in one piece, and for the record I think you are funny:)

Tricia said...

Okay, this is the funniest post! I was laughing so hard! Oh those cute girls! Dorien you definitely have a way with words! So funny!

6deans said...

Rachel just couldn't wait to tell me the elevator story when she got home from the game...it is fun to hear yours and Grace's version. I don't think they will every jump in an elevator again...at least I hope not :)

Amy said...

This is just the beginning of hilarious moments we will have with Grace in YW's. I really wished I had my camera to take a picture of the girls when the doors opened. I will definitely have to bring a camera from now on, since we have added Grace to the insanity of Beehives. We now have 12 GIRLS in Beehives. Wow! That is all I can say!

Stephie said...

That is so funny!