Friday, February 13, 2009

Mr. Darcy (sigh), McFlurries and Valentines Day...










who doesn't LOVE a good Jane Austen book or movie? (and if you don't, then shame on you!) Dreamy Mr. Darcy, all brooding and dashing in his tight, yet fashionable, turn of the century pants. His British accent, his dark, glaring looks at the lovely, yet fiesty, Miss Elizabeth Bennett (who is trying her DARNDEST to ignore and loathe the poor man). In the end, we all know how it turns out....she falls head over heels in love with Mr. Darcy (and GEESH! who wouldn't....i do every time i watch the movie (sorry honey!) and i have watched it a LOT!)

there is no one more romantic then Mr. Darcy... if only ALL men were like unto Mr. Darcy--but alas (my one Austen word for the day--most certainly not even authentic Austen!) not many men are...i certainly know my hubby could take a few lessons from him, the honorable, dashing Mr. Darcy!

HOWEVER, in his defense (my husbands, not Mr. Darcy's) i do NOT love Valentines Day. i'm sorry, it probably makes me a looser in the biggest degree! it is JUST too commercialized and phoney...come on! if you love someone, show it! not just one day of the year, but everyday! and although my husband is NOT Mr. Darcy in the area of "romancing the girl", he DOES show he loves me the other 364 days of the year. It is done in other "NON Darcy-ish" kinds of ways. (he does dishes, laundry and bathrooms ....it doesn't get much better than that--does it? WELL, a trip to Hawaii would rank VERY HIGH on my list--right up there with bathrooms! but i am sure Hawaii is over-rated...someone tell me it is!)

so in light of all that has been said about Mr. Darcy (and i could go on...and on...and on...) and Valentines Day (and how i feel about the holiday in general) ...it doesn't mean that NOTHING should be done to celebrate or NOT celebrate the day!
while i was watching 30ROCK last night on TV--i was struck with sudden inspiration on how this holiday should be celebrated!!! (thanks to Jack and his new gal pal ...they nailed Valentines Day right on the head for me.... )

McFlurries at McDonalds....(if you missed it--check it out on NBC.com)

and again in light of the current economy, my husband and i will be splitting a McFlurry (come on! that's romantic, right? same spoon, shared saliva!). so if anyone wants to join us, if you feel so inclined to share a McFlurry with YOUR spouse....just let us know! You are welcome to come!
i think this will be our new tradition.

McFlurries for Valentines Day from now on!

it just doesn't get any better than that!

SO move over Mr. Darcy...Ronald McDonald will be taking your place from now on!
(and so, until tomorrow night, i think i will go turn on a good movie...maybe something Jane Austen?)

4 comments:

Kyle said...

Thanks for great post. Thanks for saying "some" nice stuff about me. You know how I feel about Valentines, I am grateful you don't hold me to Mr. Darcy standards. Can we at least go to Iceberg for better shakes. Mcflurries are good too.

Kyle

Kassie said...

Hey, i was thinking there were better shakes than McD's also! I hate this holiday also, it really is so commercial and such a waste of paper!! you do have a wonderful spouse and i HONESTLY would prefer clean bathrooms over a trip almost anywhere!!

Laura said...

I would give a LOT for clean bathrooms (and husbands that get up really early to do projects, instead of me bumbling around at 5:30 with my screwdriver trying to fix stuff..Kyle if you're ever bored...)!!!!
And I think you should definitely upgrade the shakes - Shivers?? close - and still good!

Wendy C said...

Love your thoughts. We know what sentimental romantic I am, but there is no man going to live up to Mr. Darcy. But it was awfully nice to be served breakfast in bed, with a rose and a card from my new husband today. The rest of the time I expect more along the lines of doing dishes and laundry and helping - which speaks very loudly for the men in our lives.