Sunday, April 1, 2012

kitchen: Bar Stools

So we needed some bar stools.

And I'm sure I've mentioned at some point how cheap
(aka THRIFTY) I am on this blog.

Also pretty sure I've mentioned we're trying to 
stick to our "dime" budget, right?

Hopefully the whole kitchen doesn't look "cheap"
or awful--I prefer to think it looks "put together" for
a shockingly low price.  

That's my story and I'm
sticking to it anyway.

Back to the bar stools.  Originally I wanted some
steel or metal ones for a more modern feel--again
after pricing them (cheapest I found was around $149
for TWO on Overstock) I decided I would see
what came along, when it did and not really worry
about the stools at the moment.

After all, we're short an island top still.

So on Friday Lizzie and I were running errands (more
sodas while they were still on sale at the store for the boys
that live in my basement!) and decided to run into 
T.T. (Thrift Town for those of you not in the know!)

Sitting on the shelf were three (the perfect number for our
island) 24" barstools (the perfect height for our island).

I yanked them down and had Lizzie sit on them to test
how solid they were.  They seemed fine.  

The price?  $12 a stool.

They had old straw seats (for some reason I didn't get a pic of that!)
and were washed tan in color--so ugly.

I thought--well these can be recovered and painted and then
I have 3 barstools for under $50 (I had the fabric at home)

SO, off the shelf they came, into my car and out to the 
garage.  Kyle promptly threw away the straw seats and built
new ones out of some old wood he had laying around.



We sanded, primed and painted.



We got out the fabric and staple gun (again!)
And a Dt Dr Pepper to make it through on.


And we had ourselves 3 new barstools for under $50 bucks!







They are probably not perfect, so don't look too closely--but
from the famous line in "Babe", I say "that'll do pig, that'll do!"

And I have myself a fun splash of green color to boot!

3 comments:

Laura said...

And you get to sell one of your kids since you only have 3 stools!
No really, they look great, the whole kitchen does! We are still hunting for stools, but i think I'll focus on getting the floor done first...
Can't wait to see yours in person

Amelia said...

Green...the color of envy!

6deans said...

They look awesome! I am super impressed :)