Monday, March 26, 2012

subway tile-back splashes, another picture story.

It's time for the subway...
subway tile that is!

A note about subway tile:

*Subway tile known for its rectangular shape, got its name from its ubiquitous use
 in the New York City subway stations. It is installed with its longer edges horizontal 
and the tiles in each row are offset from those in the adjacent rows. 
The effect is that of a brick wall made of ceramic tiles. Subway tile is traditionally white, 
but in recent years manufacturers have produced it in a wide range of colors and sizes.
 

The fancy "artwork" that's been on the
walls since December is finally going away.

Subway tile sheets: $2.98 a square foot at Lowes.
They are a "mini subway tile".
We really like the size, and once again,
the price.  

I bought a 10% off coupon on Ebay (for Lowes)
for $1 and so our back splash total cames in
at around $80 (after returning some extra pieces).


 Good bye children's artwork

 A last look...



 One wall done.


 Coming under the window



 Last wall done.



Morning view



Last items of business?  Grout that subway!
Paint the trims and mouldings, and tile the 
island.  Kyle said by March--he has a few
days left to finish! (hee hee).  We'll give him
into April if need be.


p.s. i told kyle last night i LOVE my "recycled", and
"on a dime kitchen" (the ONLY thing i would change
if i had all the money in the world--grantite countertops, but
alas that wasn't an option for us.)

No one else has to love it, just me (and hopefully Kyle
and the kids) but for me my kitchen is the heart and soul
of my home.  It's where the kids gather to eat, do homework.
It's where I go to do the things I love to do; cook and bake and be
with my family, to make memories and moments.  We gather
here to chat, we hang out and come together in this one place--
almost more than any other.  For me, THIS kitchen (as
opposed to the old one) reflects the joy and peace and love
I feel about cooking, creating, being together and my
family.  It is bright and inviting (I hope) and warm
and feels like a happy place to be. It has texture and depth
and character and dimension...just like my family and
just like cooking.  And it brings me joy...Just like both
cooking and spending time with my family do.

That is the thing, the thing
I think I love the very most about this new room and
how it's all come together.  It finally reflects how I
feel about the place it was meant to be.

Does that make any sense at all?
 (Cuz I could just be crazy!)



And p.p.s. darn it- the windows are dirty again.
sorry grandma regular!


2 comments:

Amelia said...

It must be so nice to have the diy ability...except for the part where it's so much work. It looks amazing!

nielsons*love*family said...

thanks amelia...and all the credit of DIY goes to my husband.

he says i have the vision, he just makes it all happen.

i'll go with that! ;)