Monday, March 19, 2012

Counter Tops...A Picture Story

The counters got tiled this weekend.
Here is the event in pictures!

Kyle "dry fitting" all the pcs first


He built a "ledge" under the edge pieces to hold everything up and even

Starting to mud aka stick aka "glue" those bad boys down


And a little St Patty's Day fun for the kids thrown in...


 Back to counters!



Yes, we were without a sink and stove again.
Can you give me a HOORAY?


Giving everything a wipe down


Ready to grout







And our old chair cushions.  $5 a yard duck cloth from Hobby Lobby
(best store with the dumbest name ever!)  For under $20 we redid
all our old chair cushions to match the new kitchen!)






Last big things: Back Splash & Kitchen Island Counter Tops.

After driving all over and checking prices on the one thing I love (darn black honed
or leathered granite--WHY OH WHY do you have to be so expensive???)
We (I) decided that although I would probably sell my firstborn child
(and would have to, to pay for it!) for the beautiful, lovely, yummy delicious
seamless finish of solid surfaces--at $1100 JUST for the island we are going
to have to say no.

sad face.

So the island will most likely be done in tile matching the counters (which I DO like--I
just have a small love affair with black matte finish granite right now which I'm going
to have to get over really fast!!).

Hopefully the tile store has enough bullnose pieces left in stock for us to buy.

Cost to tile the island?  Around $150--can you see what made the decision for
us?  Especially on our "recycled" kitchen.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Thank you so much for showing me this process. A before and after picture by itself would have left too much out!