Wednesday, July 27, 2011

see what we eat

 A pizza at a favorite spot...
 followed by some Cold Stone
 In and Out
 Burgers and Fries
 Always looking for a good cupcake--these were "fair to middlin' "...
closer to "fair" than middlin' ".

THE NEXT ONES THOUGH...oh my goodness! We come back
EVERY YEAR to this bakery, they are THAT good!!
Yes, really they are THAT GOOD!
 These win HANDS DOWN as the
BEST cupcakes I have EVER eaten.
 EVER!!!  East Coast, West Coast or In-between Coasts...
Of all the homemade, or store bought I have tried...
these babies take the cake!

 No contest.

Not only that, they are BEAUTIFUL to look, with unique flavor combinations
and unique toppings.  All from scratch.
SUPREMELY superior and definitely divine.
 The flavors are rich and the selection is fantastic!
 I literally could ONLY eat half (saved the other half for later though)
 Black and White cupcake...I have died and gone to heaven.
 This little hidden gem of a bakery is tucked away next to 
an outdoor garden and plant store.  If you didn't know it was there, you would miss it.

Too many people probably do.

Miss it.

Somewhere between Oceanside and San Diego off the 5 Fwy.
It is called Elizabethan...if you're ever nearby--try it.  You will NOT be sorry!

We found it on a cold and rainy day googling "cupcakes" and "San Diego area".
We will never be sorry.  We hope it never goes out of business.
 Phils BBQ...ribs ribs and more ribs
 I am NOT a lover of meat, but once a year I manage to inhale a shared
plate with Grace. They are fabulous if you love ribs, or chicken or BBQ!

 Finger lickin', rib stickin' good.

 Thursday morning Farmers Market in Oceanside. I live and DIE for
the Fish Taco stand here.  Don't love fish either (how weird is that?)
but I love, adore and someday will perhaps MARRY these fish
taco's.  They are THAT good.  Did I mention I LOVE THEM??  I do!
 Kyle eating his Fish Taco.  A food group in of of itself.
 Thursday night, street fair.  More food than a human knows what to do with.









 Days at the beach with "the dewskies"

And as always, a good old Dt. Coke.

Eating is all a part of the adventure of travelling to a new place.
It adds to the experience. We have some favorites we always eat at here
 and some new ones we try along the way.


I just have to add that having TWO teenage boys (we had Nate --
Josh's BFF come along withus this trip) eat an UNBELIEVABLE amount of food.
Seriously, I cannot believe how much those two boys could pack away.
Playing in the ocean everyday added to their appetite. Just
when I thought I had enough food, I would go to the store again.
It was mind boggling and  fun to watch.  We never had left overs...anywhere.
Ever.
That's a GOOD thing.


POST EDIT:  Not pictured:  California peaches, plums, nectarines,
mango smoothies, raspberry smoothies, fresh roasted red pepper hummus
and pita bread, basil feta cheese & sun dried tomato layered dip.
Those were the thing I ATE while the boys, and children, were
consuming pounds and pounds of "crap."
Well, those things and my freakin' fish tacos! :O)

POST POST EDIT: While at Phils, we texted our friend
Renan (who turned us on to Phils)...well, actually Kyle texted him.
I said, "lets take a picture and tell Renan we are 'thinking about him'."
Turns out Kyle sent the text "thinking of you" with no picture.

A short while later I got a text from his wife, Amy, wondering if there
was something going on she needed to know about, explaining that Renan got
a text from Kyle who was "thinking of him." She wondered if she should pack
Renan  up and send him over. (All the while joking and laughing via text).

We got a really big laugh out of this.  Of course, the text makes more
sense with the picture.  But Renan, we are 'thinking of you'. (wink wink)...
Picture or no picture.  Always.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm not sure how you could keep them full...it seems impossible...

nielsons*love*family said...

it is impossible. we brought one bag of doritoes, one bag of pretzels, 3 left over capri suns and basil/feta dip with us on the car ride to the airport. (1 hour). In 1/2 hour ALL the food was gone. We then had to stop and buy them a SECOND breakfast at Mcdonalds before we went to the airport. (not to mention the cookies, candy bars and various other snacks they ate at the airport). So, you see, I could go on and on (which I have already done).