Sunday, November 15, 2009

word soup

bompie (aka olivia): "mom, my new favorite word is revolting! i LOVE that word!"

me: "wow! really? do you know what it means?"

bompie: "yup, it means disgusting and gross."

me: "can you use it in a sentence?"

bompie: "dads farts smell revolting."

me, seriously giggling.


next...

bompie: "mom, what does 'warship' mean?"

me: "well, you know like in a war when people are fighting and there is a ship helping with fighting, that is a warship." (i sorta fumbled on that explanation, i know!)

bompie, puzzled look on her face: "hmmmm, well we talked about it at church today."

me, even MORE puzzled: "you talked about WARSHIPS at church today? what were you talking about?"

bompie: "well, it was about warships and God."

moment of silence...

light clicks on...

me: "OHHHHHHHH! you mean WORSHIP? like WORSHIPPING God?"

bompie: "yes!"

me, thinking of all the other "utah" words like carn (corn)
and Lard (Lord)and "LIAR" (lawyer) and "window SEAL" (window SILL).
i guess i can now i can add WARSHIP (worship) to the list of mispronounced "utah-ese".

1 comment:

Stephie said...

I love it! Did you see there was a news story the other night about Utah's missing consonants. You know like

"Lay-un" = Layton
"moun-un" = Mountain

Apparently we are lazy. :)