Sunday, November 8, 2009

a wind and a prayer...

i feel a little bit uncomfortable blogging about some of my personal feelings and experiences as we travel the road of unemployment.


i just feel compelled to write my experiences, so that (hopefully) someday when we complete the journey, i have documentation to look back upon.


i am a "wordy" person and this is my outlet.


sometimes, it is too painful to type what i am feeling (but i do!) and sometimes it is immensely personal (and STILL i do). Type, that is.


This past week after the hustle and bustle of getting the kids up, and ready, and gone, for another day of school-- i found myself alone in the quiet of my home and sighed *a deep sigh* and gathered myself together to face another day.


the south wind was blowing, the temperatures were mild for November. the leaves, orange and red and yellow, were blowing across my lawn in miniature whirlwinds. lifting off of the ground and resettling elsewhere, no thought given to their journey.


i stood in my front doorway, the wind gently blowing across my face and lifting my hair, and a heaviness filled my heart that no wind could blow away. i felt lonely and frightened and sad and vulnerable. i wanted to somehow telepathically send out a message to someone, somewhere.


i NEEDED to know that someone cared. (sometimes, you just do.)


Please, i said. and then i let the thought blow from my heart and across the yard, into the wind, and i shut the door.


i continued on with my day, actually forgetting my moment of sadness, and that little thought as it went scurrying on its way.


my doorbell rang well into the afternoon and there stood a friend. dt. dr pepper and cookie in hand.


"i was thinking about you today," was all she said.


they were beautiful words to hear. it was enough.


my cup was filled.


a while later, someone called. a trip to Costco was in their future and did i need any "little old thing?"


milk would be great, after all i do live with "Mr. I Can Drink One Gallon of Milk A Day" boy.


a gallon of milk would be great. thank you very much.



now my cup was topped off, milk will do that.


even later still, my doorbell rang again (believe me ladies and gentlemen--this is NOT a common occurrence at my house.)


someone stood there, bearing a gift that defies description.
and i won't describe it because i don't want to embarrass them (not that they read my blog--they do NOT!) and i am still a bit overwhelmed by it anyway.


they loved us and were thinking about us. i set the gift on the table and stared at it for a while. my heart was very full. my cup even fuller now, in fact over flowing.


somehow, somewhere, someone heard the plea of my heart and not once, not twice, but THREE times that plea was answered that day.


i like to think that God heard it. i like to think that 3 people listened to His promptings to love me that day when the wind carried my prayer away.


i like to think that i am one blessed lady.



4 comments:

Jenna said...

I totally believe God heard you! He is so amazing! Miss you! I just love how open and honest you are, so transparent! You are amazing!!

Stephie said...

I love you! And miss you! And I wish I still lived in Ogden. I was thinking this weekend it was about this time last year that we had lunch with Allison.

nielsons*love*family said...

thanks ladies~
aw steph--that lunch was so fun...
my girls had so much fun too! :O)

Howland Home said...

I love your blog and all the honesty and real feelings and thoughts you share!