Monday, June 8, 2009

to nap or not to nap?

here's the thing.

If you KNOW me, you already know what the answer to the question is.

But still I HAD TO try it.

I just HAD TO!

I have been dead dog tired the past 2 days, as in I really, REALLY, really, really wanted to lay down for 1/2 hour and sleep.

So, today I tried.

Tried being the operative word here.

I lay in my bed, the breeze was quietly blowing through the trees outside my window,
my comforter was nestled up to my chin, I could feel myself starting to drift....

toward my fleeting desire...

my goal of a 30 minute nap.

JUST as I was letting go of all my thoughts and leaving this waking world for that of the world of dreams, I heard...


*The phone ring...12 times to be exact! (and before anyone thinks we are really popular I have a confession to make. Apparently our telephone number used to be
a fax number at some point in the not so distant past. We know when we are getting an old "fax" call when the phone rings 12 or so times all in a row with the caller id displaying the mysterious words "unknown caller" with NO telephone number AND does the annoying "BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!" fax sound, over and over and over and over. Well, you get the point. We have tried to rectify the situation with Qwest to no avail.....)

So anyway, yup 12 calls!

*One Lizzie yelling, "SHHHHHHHHH!!! Mom is trying to take a nap!"

*Olivia poking her head in my door, "Mom, I know you're sleeping, but can I roast a mallow?" (as in a marshmallow, as in -on the stove in the kitchen--yup that's how we do it here. Hey! YOU may say "desperate times call for desperate measures", we prefer to call it "creative roasting " at our house.)

Grace "singing" LA LA LA LA LA LA LA! (in her best Opera voice--which truth be told is not all that good-- at the top of her lungs. Did I mention: AT THE TOP OF HER LUNGS????)

Josh was in the basement, so he is exempt from this blog post. Because I am pretty sure IF he had been UPSTAIRS, he would've done something to annoy.

Kyle was at work, although I think he DID call on my cell phone once.

This was all in the first 5 minutes of my imaginary "nap".

I sat up, threw back the covers and said, "Ah forget it!" (although the words MAY HAVE been a bit more colorful, but I will never tell!)


The answer than to the question is... NOT to nap!

Maybe someday in 12 more years I will try again, in the meantime I have learned to function quite nicely on not nearly enough sleep....and I will keep dreaming of naps in my night time hours of sleep.

Hey, a gal can always dream, right?

3 comments:

JGEM said...

At our house our ringer is always turned off and the machine is at level zero. Of course, I never have any intention of answering the phone, even when I am awake, but since I seem to be in the habit of sleeping small children in the room with the phone I turned it all off years ago... when Ellie was born... I haven't turned them on since :)

nielsons*love*family said...

note to self: ringer off in future!!

samandbrodi said...

I remember naps. Long ago.

I had a thought of locking the kids in a closet down in the basement, but figured out that I could get in a bit of trouble if I did that one. So I too am napless in Salt Lake City.