Thursday, March 26, 2009

my date with don johnson....

Remember the "Don Johnson" days? Way back in the "olden days," AKA the 1980's? Don Johnson was burning up the T.V. screen every friday night with Miami Vice (I am pretty sure my parents didn't even let me watch it since they were of the opinion it was "too violent.") But back in the day, Don was a hottie. Not that I exactly thought he was (I was more of a Shawn Cassiday or Donny Osmond girl) but I knew a few boys who DID think he was a hottie. (none of them gay, "not that there's anything wrong with that"--name the show that line comes from!)

He was just kind of the "it" guy for a while. I mean LOOK at that hair, the tan, that peachy-pink tight T-shirt, those white pants and that white blazer. Look at the effortless way he has his blazer flung over his shoulder. The look was just so... just so... just so... 1980's. (heaven HELP US! What were we thinking?)

Well, luckily for me (since I never got to watch or meet the REAL Don Johnson) I got to have my very own date with destiny. (or was it a date with the 1980's?)

Last week Kyle had Spring Break at the "U"--we all thought that meant he would spend some extra "bonus hours" at home with the "fam." No such luck...he had office "big wigs" in town all week and they pretty much had him on a 12 hour a day work schedule. That was the end of any big Spring Break plans for us. All in all it was fine, pretty much "life as usual" at the Nielson abode.

After a gruelling week at work and our Saturday morning house cleaning we decided to head out and do something fun. Unfortunately, 6 minds do not all think a like, and while the girls had donned their swimsuits for a trip to the pool, Josh and I thought we would rather do something else.

Kyle took the girls for a marathon swim (4 hours) and Wendy's lunch while Josh and I headed out on OUR date to the movies. (Somehow I think I lucked out! but that is neither here nor there)

I was waiting in the car when what to my wondering eyes should appear?? An imposter Don Johnson, I tried not to leer.

Yup, there was my 15 year old son, sauntering out of the garage in his $1 Thrift Town halloween pants (now sewn into shorts, by HIM none the less) and a peachy-pink tee. If he wasn't the spitting image of Don Johnson all those years ago, I don't know who is. I surpressed a giggle, that turned into something between a snort and a cough and we were off. I casually asked Josh if he knew who Don Johnson was, and he had no clue.

After a trip through Albertsons and the theater, we came home to google "Don Johnson Miami Vice Years..." Josh was mighty impressed and proudly went out front to skateboard, Don Johnson look and all.

Admit it, you're all jealous! (LOL!!!!)




















P.S. We may need to work on his hair and tan and find a matching white blazer that he toss effortlessly over his shoulder.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

This seriously made me LOL! If you EVER write a book...I beg to be the FIRST one to read it! You are hilarious! BTW, nice outfit Josh! =)