Thursday, December 18, 2008

happy birthday old lady!

"they say it's MY birthday...
Happy Birthday to me...."
(la la la la la la....singing loudly to the Beatle's tune
of the same name.)

i ask myself WHY OH WHY am i advertising??
i am old-er, getting even OLD-ER.
i have a few new wrinkles,
(but still no gray hairs, thank goodness for ONE good thing
in the gene pool...sigh)
things sag that used to NOT sag...
(and NOT what you are thinking, although...)
ah, the blessed joys of my aging and aching body...
i am now my mother that i made fun of.
and if you're reading this and NOT there yet,
just KNOW it will happen!
but i am happy to celebrate this day with my little family.
they are the world to me.
i got to spend the morning with Kyle, alone at breakfast.
cheap, but good and QUIET! (no kids)
i got to snuggle with Bompie and watch "ELF"
(a holiday classic, that STILL makes me LOL after seeing
it something like 1,298,322 times!)
and i got the greatest gifts (simple and small, yet PERFECT!)
from my girls...sweeter still (OH! so sweet!) they saved
and paid for the gifts themselves.
it touched my heart.
so, for that reason i am glad to celebrate my "special day"
with those that i love and care about the very most in this world.

8 comments:

Allison said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

pinkebody said...

Happy Birthday Dorien!!

I'm so glad you had a great day :-)

Keely said...

Oh Dorien...I truly miss seeing you each week (and sometimes more!)
You are such a warm, beautiful, funny girl who lights up a room with your presence.
You have been a great influence on me in ways you probably didn't even realize.

Happy Birthday!!

Kassie said...

Happy Birthday to you!

RIGBY FAMILY said...

Sounds Like you had a Great Day! Happy Birthday! I Hate my birthdays now, I'm glad you had a great one!!!

Mrs. Poff said...

Happy Birthday to you!

Wendy C said...

Hope you got my phone message. You ARE a wonderful woman, wife and mom. I'm very proud of you and the love and joy you share. Glad you got to have a wonderful day. I say celebrate your day and be thankful for another successful year! Love ya, Aunt Wendy

Libbi said...

Dorien I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday too! I'm glad you had a good day!