Tuesday, March 29, 2011

farewell

























For the record, I knowingly broke ALL RULES of funeral
etiquette by photographing the entire thing.  After
googling it and finding out that MOST people are
shocked and horrified to think of taking pictures
at a funeral, I pretty much said, "Well, they can
kiss my hiney! I'm taking pictures!"

The day passed in a rapid blur and I'm thinking of
setting up my own business now. 

Funeral Photography.  (I am kidding)

I DID refrain from taking any pictures during
anything that transpired between the actual prayers
(opening and closing) of the service and to be
honest, I am SO GLAD I have these pictures, as sad
as they may seem to be, it's amazing how numb
your mind becomes as you travel through these
days.  You forget your own name half of the time.
(I wish I were joking).  Somehow grief and death
includes this "brain fog" that sort of propels
your THROUGH and blocks out everything else.

It's nice to know that even on a day as sad
as that day that life goes on.

People still love each other.

They still smile and laugh and hold on.

Funeral food is the same EVERYWHERE, in
every ward across the country.

Ham, funeral potatoes, jellos, veggies
and a roll.  I laughed when we went back
to the ward to eat. 

The rain still falls, the weather still is.

In honor of my father and his "Plaid Shirt"
collection (lovingly honored in his 80th
birthday pictures too) ALL the grandkids
donned one of HIS plaid shirts to wear to
the "graveside service".  It was the sweetest
thing to see, something unique to Grandpa Ladanye.

A way to pay tribute.

May his plaid shirts, and his memories, keep us
warm forever.

Until we meet again.

3 comments:

stacy said...

Sweet post!

Amelia said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. And the pictures are lovely.

Libbi said...

Dorien,
Your pictures are wonderful and so have benn all the tributes to your father. Wishing you peace and love.