Friday, May 8, 2009

plagiarism

I claim blatent plagiarism in using the immortal words or the Grateful Dead in describing my feelings toward today...

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been..."


Life, the trip that keeps on giving! Around every corner COULD BE something unexpected, or maybe JUST what you expected is waiting for you there. Either way, it can turn out to be a surprise.

I once had a girl friend tell me, "It is NEVER too late to reinvent yourself." She explained to me about a co-worker who had shared this philosophy with her. My friends friend (are you still following me?) had unexpectedly lost her husband and she had no college degree. She decided to follow her heart, and through trial and error, and lots of perserverance, she ended up some years later WITH her degree and working at a job as a creative director for a really cool catalog. (Sundance...for those that know it).


She was nigh unto 60 years old and LOVED where lifes journey had led her. She did not discount some heart ache and pain along the way, but she was, she said, a better person for having lived and loved and learned along HER journey.


The path she had ended up on was the furthest thing from her mind the day she said "I DO!" all those years ago. But the ONE THING that she took with her from that experience was what she shared with MY friend, and that is that CHANGE and new beginnings are ALWAYS possible if you can believe. And if you can do MORE than believe and take ACTION. It may not turn out how you "thought" it should, it may not always go as smoothly as you "hoped" it would--BUT, it STILL TURNS OUT OK in the end.

It may just be a different ending. And possibly that is neither good nor bad, it just IS.


I promise no more commentary on Kyle finishing his degree....


But I was just decompressing after a long long day, and a long long journey. And as the sun warmed my face, and the breeze blew my hair, and a tear -or two- trickled down my cheeks (I know not why), I had a moment to myself. There were no other souls around to interupt my thoughts...and so I had a few last thoughts on my journey, our journey. This thing we call "LIFE".

And I repeat...

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been..."


Happy Graduation Day University of Utah Class of 2009!

May the FORCE BE WITH YOU!







1 comment:

Amy said...

Amen Sistaaaaaaa! I loved the post!