Monday, May 4, 2009

culmination

and now we reach it, the culmination of years of hard work.


"to culminate: to reach the end, or arrive at a final stage."


my husband is officially done with college.
his last paper was turned in this morning.
all the years of hard work culminate this week.


we (and i do say we, as i have had an active part of this--not so much in the "school thing", but in the "raising the family for 3 1/2 years without a husband around much thing.") have reached "the end, the final moment" on this part of lifes journey.

but this week kyle also commences, it is time for a NEW journey to begin. a new chapter and a new page in our life. Dreams, hopes, many hours of prayer, blood, sweat, and tears have brought us to this point. (ok, no blood was actually shed, but it sure does sound more dramatic doesn't it?)


"commence: to begin, to start."

with the finality of school, and the hopes to start down a new, and better--or maybe just different--career path for kyle, i find myself reflecting on the past.


HOPEFULLY, we learn from our choices in this life....and if i have learned ONE THING, it would be this....

i will physically torture and maime my children if they do not go to college and get a degree.

in anything.

in something.

i know there will be those that disagree with me...but i stand firm in this.

that little piece of paper, the paper that says "you did it", will open MORE DOORS for you in your life than few other things.


as we culminate, i will say i am glad the journey is at its end...for now. (my crystal ball DOES see a Master's Degree looming in the future--but, we shall cross that bridge when we come to it)



i will say that it was not nearly as hard as i thought it would be (minus the complete and total breakdown i had every 6 months....which, always after a good cry, a severe migraine and a few dt. cokes on ice....i found myself ready to "gird up my loins, fresh courage take" and dive into the next 6 months.)


we end this part, reflect on all that has gone past us and await (with baited breath) the new beginning we hope this brings into our lives!


Party at our house Friday night after graduation...bring your own anything (B.Y.O.A.) and come celebrate with us! A shout out of THANKS to any and all who have supported and held our figurative hands throughout this endeavor. We never could have done it without you!



Love,
The Nielsons

Kyle...officially done!
Dorien...officially still (mostly) sane!
and kids...officially still alive! (and that is saying something, is it not?)

8 comments:

Stephie said...

Where's the cheerleading smilie when you need it? YAY for all of you! I am so happy and relieved for you guys!!!

Keely said...

Congratulations Kyle!! (and Dorien :)) What an incredible accomplishment!!

Heather said...

congrats!!! this is fabulous news!

and dorien i agree with you on college. my girls have been taught from day one that college is not optional, it flows as do all the other levels of their schooling. sadly, they have since learned the truth. BUT we will get them there!

Kyle said...

All the credit goes to my wife. She is the only reason I made it. She took on far more burden than me. My kids are probably better off having me gone for 3 years. I think my kids still like me. Thanks DOR, you are the best.

Kyle

Amy said...

Life is good!!!!!! What an accomplishment for all of you!

6deans said...

Congrats Kyle. You definately have a great wife to pick up the slack while you were in school...I am with you Dorien my kids will DEFINATELY go to college :)

The "K" in JKD said...

Way to go and congrats!!I am glad that hurdle is over for your family.

Libbi said...

Kyle your a rockstar!....go Dorien.......go Dorien

Really....Congrats that is awesome!