Tuesday, August 9, 2011

note to self: look inside

I don't know why I always seem to forget this lesson.


To look inward.  


At myself.  


At others.


I come from a religion that believes we are literally
children of God.  That we existed as spirits before
we came to this earth.  Created by a loving Father
in Heaven.  


We are His sons and daughters, as well as the literal
sons and daughters of our earthly parents.


Little bits of heaven reside in each of us,
regardless of outward appearance, 
making us beautiful.


Regardless of judgement to the contrary.


I wonder why we ALL seem to forget this sometimes.


Why we hurt, 


or hate,


or judge.


Snap decisions made from outward appearances.


We ALL have quirks and frailties and differences.
These things make us unique and wonderful and,
well, different.


I just had a small reminder this week.


Judgement I made.


Judgement made against me.


And I thought (again) WHY? do we do this to other
people?  


And ourselves.


I have found in my life that once I get to TRULY
know most people they are all good in some way
that I can love and embrace.


If I look hard enough, and sometimes you have to
look harder than others, but if you look hard
enough...you can see the gleam of heavenly soul
that resides in each of us.  And when you find it,
that sliver of gold, it shines.


Only on rare occasion have I found someone who was
truly ugly INSIDE, behind the mask of beauty on
the outside.



And some people just forget, and work too hard on
the parts that don't really matter.

When we should ALL be working on 
the parts that...Really.  Matter.


I believe MOST people are just good, if we
give them a chance.


Sometimes we forget to give them a chance. 


And that's too bad, the forgetting part.


My note to self this week is to remember.


Look inside.


That's the part that REALLY matters.

2 comments:

Keely said...

I love this reminder Dorien.
Thank you.

Rigby Fam said...

Loved this post...