Thursday, August 11, 2011

#4

I attended my 4th funeral today.


The 4th in 5 months.  They are still very hard.


(And I am certain that exceeds the total
I have attended in my entire life to this point).


The funeral was for a dear sweet neighbor
that we called friend.  For she was truly
a friend to all who knew her.


Sitting with another dear sweet (and very wise)
friend before the service started we spoke of life.


Mostly we spoke of sons who were growing older,
leaving, getting ready to leave, those who
were already gone.


I asked her how she did it.  It feels so hard
approaching this milestone in my life.


It tugs (daily) at my heartstrings.
It brings tears to my eyes.


She (in the always wise ways) looked at me
and very sincerely stated, "Well, they were
never ours to begin with.  We just borrow them
and help them on their way in life."


I thought (with a gulp), "Oh how have I never
realized this before?" 


(or have I?)


The truth of what she said hit me hard.


They were never ours to begin with.


We have them on "loan" from above, we teach
them the best that we can, we send them on their
way into this world so that they can in turn
continue, and grow, and pass through their own
experiences.


Both good and bad.


The funeral was beautiful, a tribute to a life
well lived, a tribute to a soul who loved her
way through.


The advice I received was just as beautiful.


I hope that I can take it to heart.



4 comments:

Libbi said...

Dorien, you have a hard "go of it" lately. Your posts have been so heartfelt, thank you for sharing.
sending love and peace your way.
Libbi

Rigby Fam said...

I agree with Libbi and YOU WILL SURVIVE Josh leaving. I had a total break down when Jord left but it has gone by so fast and Jake will be home in 8 days! The hardest for me was the anticipation of them leaving.. Just keep reminding yourself that this is what you raised him to do and there is no other place you you would have him.

nielsons*love*family said...

well i may be calling both of you for advice in the next year! :O)

Anonymous said...

Hey you should check out my log it is lizascrazylife.blogspot.com it is really awesome by the way this is eliza