Monday, December 6, 2010

falling off the wagon.

 Every once in a while, we fall down in our 
lives, right?  And what do we do when that 
happens?  We (hopefully) pick ourselves up, stand tall, dust off our knees, pull up our 
bootstraps and keep going.  (I somehow had 
to work in a metaphor of life with this blog
post).


Well, Lizzie and I metaphorically "fell" off 
the wagon on Sunday.  See, here's the thing...
Oh, and it's a "THING" alright!



I had been baking Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Cupcakes for friends, primary workers, and neighbors for 2 straight days.  I had 
batches of homemade cookie dough, bowls full
of buttercream and the smell--oh MY! the smell
was DIVINE!


Grace emailed me this recipe about 2 years ago
(this is how our kids drop "hints" in the
age of technology).  There is no more "mom, 
will you make these for me?"  NOPE! No sirree!


She simply sends a link in an email and knows
she will hook me.


Anyway, we made these for her 12th birthday
party and they were a HUGE hit (in fact all
4 dozen were completely devoured-I found cupcake liners in my basement for days afterward in all sorts of nooks and crannies).


Since then, they have been her (and probably
mine) favorite cupcakes.


This week I went into a baking frenzy so 
that I could beat the holiday rush.  For 2 days straight my oven and mixer ran at full speed.


By about 8 PM last night, the last of these
babies were delivered and I was cleaning up
the kitchen.  Lizzie and I (the "no sugar"
girls) looked at each other.  And I am 
sorry to admit it, but we caved.  We ate
one cupcake each, down to the crumbs. And we licked every last drop of home made frosting too.


So we hang our heads in shame, and decided that
since it's Christmas we can have 2 treats
instead of the usual "ONE" this month.


When asked if it was worth it, we both have
to admit YES!  It was delectable, divine and
delicious in every way.


Today, we are back on the wagon, holding our heads high, sugar buzzing its way lazily through our veins.


Happy Cookie Dough Cupcake to you and many
happy returns.






6 comments:

6deans said...

Good for you. I think you guys are pretty amazing to even be doing the no sugar thing. Those cupcakes look amazing. Maybe next time you make them I can be on your list =)

nielsons*love*family said...

next weekend emily! you got it!

nielsons*love*family said...

next weekend emily! you got it!

JGEM said...

Mmmmm, we're coming to town soon. M's even having a fake birthday on the 22nd at my mom's. I'd love some cupcakes, but I also know you'll be busy with Christmas!!! Still, I can't help saying I'll be around... those things and the peanut butter ones, just look too good for me to be polite and all that.

The "K" in JKD said...

Dorien...I really need you to start sharing all of your delicious recipes! Maybe Grace could add my email address and send me some "hints" too. Everything looks sooo delicious!

Amelia said...

I hear you! I made it two weeks without sugar the first time & then three. Now I've been hoping to do four...but I'm sure having a hard time getting myself going this time around! The good news is that I've lost 7 pounds in the effort.

And just so you know, there is no way I could have not had one of those cupcakes. I'm proud of you both for only having one!