Monday, December 6, 2010

all i want for christmas


The year Grace Catherine was 6 going on 7,
there was NOTHING more in the world she wanted
more than a dog. She was consumed by furry
friends, dogs with short tails and long ones,
puppies and the full grown variety.

She promised to clean up dog poop and be nice
for a year. (HA!)

On Christmas Eve that year as we were setting
out cookies and Dt. Coke for Santa (everyone
knows he REALLY drinks Dt. Coke!--the milk
thing is a BIG.FAT.LIE!)

Anyway, that year she brought this hand
written note up from her bedroom and laid it
in front of the fireplace.  She was SURE
Santa would bring her a dog IF ONLY she
wrote a persuasive enough note to him.

It basically says, "All I want for Christmas
is a dog dog dog dog dog dog dog (x100) so
GIVE.ME.A.DOG!"

I am sad to report that after checking with
Grace's mother (the one who would REALLY be
cleaning up dog poop for the rest of her life)
Santa decided to bring a different gift to
her that year.  There were no tears on her
part, she was very brave.

But the note was saved and framed and stands
in a special place of honor each Christmas
season.  It stands as a reminder, a memory, and a glimpse into Christmases past.

It also serves for a good laugh.  It is
the cutest darn thing I think I have ever
seen to boot.

THIS YEAR all the girl wants is an IPOD
TOUCH.  She is on the cusp of turning 14.

Somedays I miss the "dog" letters to Santa--
however, I will say that I am pretty sure
I never missed out on cleaning up all that
poop!

An ITOUCH is so much cleaner than a dog!

1 comment:

basicallyBrittanyB said...

You are very lucky to have such a good daughter. When I was younger, maybe 9 or 10. All I wanted for Christmas was a lilac colored bike that I had seen at Toys R Us. Christmas morning arrived and I ruined the entire day. I got a bike but it was violet, not lilac. I ruined everyone's Christmas because I was a spoiled brat and I can never take that day back. I don't know you but I'm sure my mother would envy you that day your daughter was brave. I envy your daughter, I wish I had been, well not so mean and hurtful. I can't ever take that back. I don't know you but your blog if the only one that's caught my attention so far so kudos. merry christmas and god bless. P.s. I think you're right about the diet coke thing too. lol