Saturday, December 11, 2010

check.

every year for about 15 years (give or take a
few years) we have co-hosted a christmas party
with our friends the Thatchers.

it includes "old friends" from "old walks" of life.  it is pure joy (and a lot of work) to
meet and gather once a year.  but so worth it
to see everyone and catch up on life.

this was my day today.

(last night was kyle's work christmas party too--man, my husband is apparently a rock star
at work.  i guess it's a good thing people like him, right?)

wake up.

head cold--first one of the year.  my head hurts, i can't breath, or talk and my nose
will not stop running.  not a great way to start the day.

if i COULD, i would take cold medicine to ease
my sinuses--for some reason unbeknown to me
my body is completely immune to the healing effects of any and all types of cold medicine.

it literally does nothing to help.

moving on.

looked at condo's for my parents to move in to.  with poor health and complicating issues
we are FINALLY hopefully getting them to the
S.L. VALLY...it has been a lot of years of begging them to be close.  hopefully this
time things work out.

home again, home again, jiggity jig.

lots of hand washing to begin with.
check.

*5 dozen cupcakes (from scratch, of course)
check.

*4 dozen breadsticks (again, home made)
check.

*1 batch of home made spinach artichoke dip.
check.

...and a double batch of chicken
wild rice soup.
check.

made, done, warming, packaged, ready to go.

(and a partridge in a pear tree....)

it is now 4:24 and i have still have not showered--i have one hour to get ready.

with all my whining (and i STILL can't breath)
i LOVE this event, this part of the holidays.

the baking and cooking and cleaning and the gathering of old and dear friends who have been such a great part of my life.  an example, a strength, they have shared heart ache and joy.  children, births, tender
moments, mission farewells, marriages, football games and other spectacular moments in our lives.

for these reasons we celebrate and rejoice!
maybe this year i will remember my camera and post a few pictures.  we are all a little more
wrinkly, the men have a little less hair--but
these are some of the best souls i know in the entire world!

off to spend a few hours remembering how blessed we are to have friends that love and accept us as we are, and share time with us in the journey we call life.

check. check. check.
  

3 comments:

6deans said...

I am thinking the Thatcher's you are friends with was Jake's head football coach? Would that be right? If so he was an amazing coach and such a nice guy. I love having constant friends like that in our lives that you can see not a ton and just know they will always be there for you no matter what. Cheers to the awesome friends in our lives. Once again seriously...you are an AMAZING baker. I can't believe with the stuff you come with that you can do the no sugar thing. Kuddos to you and Eliza =)

MySiteMalixi System Development said...

Nice Post!
I would like to know more about your blog.You may also visit my blog and tell me what you think.

nielsons*love*family said...

em-yup...tyler thatcher! i've heard he's a pretty "INTENSE" coach! LOL--but a great man (and prob. coach too-just intense) you're welcome--honestly i just love to make stuff....so now instead of eating some (any) i just deliver it to people! :O)