Sunday, November 7, 2010

brooklyn bridge & black and white cookies

This day will have to be done in TWO PARTS...here is the END
of our day. We met up w/the Wilcox's and the Siddoways (who
came in from PA. for the day) for dinner. Talk about a BIG
Utah crowd in NYC for dinner. It was a highlight of the trip!

It was so fun to get together with everyone and relax--I think
the pizza place was a little overwhelmed with ALL THOSE
people and kids in one spot! (and WE were down our two'
little kids!)

Great food, good friends and fun times.




After dinner, we HAD TO stop for a black and white cookie.
These are THE BEST! You can't go to NYC and not
eat one.








Gracie chowing down on a big, fat brownie!





The night was still young (8 or 9 pm) so we decided to go
and take the subway to Brooklyn and walk over the
Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhatten. It wasn't too cold
and only a little windy--which made it a gorgeous night.













You start down close to traffic on the bridge and end up
walking over the top of all the cars. It is a BEAUTIFUL
scene at night.













Statue of Liberty from the bridge...



Looking into Manhatten from the bridge....



We got done walking the bridge at about 10 PM and took
the subway home to the Wilcox's.
Stay tuned for the morning part of the day....
















































































































































6 comments:

Keely said...

YAY!! Finally a picture of YOU in New York...and you look so beautiful.

Amelia said...

Okay. So I wandered here at 5:00 am (my children got up SO early this morning...stupid Daylight Standard time!) from Cjane's blog. Then I read/skimmed all of 2010 on your blog because I wanted to read more about your low sugar living (because I just started the same thing about a week before Halloween). I don't think I found a post that explained where it started. Would you share it with me? How long have you been doing the low sugar thing? Is it temporary or are you planning to do it forever? You have pictures of a lot of yummy things on your blog. I just don't know how you do it! I baked cookies yesterday & it just about killed me not to eat one! And they weren't even good! (I had a crumb, that's how I know.) Anyway, it is so nice to meet you. 2010 has been quite a year!

Amelia said...

P.S. It's really 6:30 here. I'm not a speed reader! :)

6deans said...

Looks so fun. What a gorgeous pic of the bridge. You guys packed so much stuff into your weekend. I am glad to see you were actually on the trip and that you are in a picture =)

nielsons*love*family said...

amelia-
hoping you check back~!
hello~ the "sugar thing" started because my 2nd daughter has a sweet tooth like you would not believe...so she challenged *herself* to a year w/o sugar. She does however get one treat a month (treat and day of her choosing). after one month of watching her success, i decided to hop on the bandwagon. i thought "if she can do this, i can too!" i ALSO get one treat a month. (i think it helps to make it through bdays, holidays,etc. w/o being so strict you go nuts!)
now for the other problem....I LOVE to bake and have 3 other kids (and lots of their friends who hang out at my house and like treats) that love to eat, so i keep up w/what i love to do: I BAKE for them. (some days are easier than others) honestly it is all about will power and the longer you do it that easier it gets (most days).
i plan on doing the whole year and then we'll see what happens. good luck with the sugar thing. thanks for your comments~do you have any other questions?
Dorien

Amelia said...

Dear Dorien,
Thank you for your reply! I am extremely impressed with your willpower! Remember those not-so-good cookies I told you I made? The day before yesterday, I ate four of them over the course of the day...and four pieces of candy too! I only made it about two weeks before I caved, but I was back on track yesterday. So I guess today is day two of my new goal: to make it three weeks without sugar. Then I'll give myself a day off & shoot for a four week stretch. That seems doable to me, & I think if I can do it, it will really help me get through the holidays feeling better in so many ways! I love your blog & plan to continue visits here if that's okay! And by the way, the pictures of the city lights are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.