Saturday, November 20, 2010

100% full dork mode

grace went to the Harry Potter midnight showing of "the deathly hallows" thursday night. 

i love harry potter.  if i could only stay awake at midnight and enjoy myself i would have considered going.

but i have to admit it, i like my sleep.  after years of staying awake for way too many hours in the night with babies, toddlers and sick kids, i feel as if i am still playing catch up.  (and now i have teens eating into the "going to sleep" end of it...so basically let's just say i have not slept well for 17+ years.)

i digress.  where was i?

oh yes, harry potter. 

i have read the books too many times to count.

j.k. rowling is a genius, pure and simple.
few, in my opinion match her attention to details and the weaving of a story (7 of them to be exact) quite so brilliantly.  (although j.r.r. tolkien and c.s. lewis are CLOSE)

maybe it's all about having lots of initials for a name?  how does d.g.l. nielson sound?

anyhoo--i REALLY wanted to see the movie!

if not at midnight, then the FIRST SHOWING of friday morning.

i walked my kids to school, ran home and started calling friends.

did anyone want to come? 

it appeared no one could. 

(do i have no life?)

don't answer that.

i was feeling apprehensive...i HAD TO go see
the movie.

since no one could go with me, that meant i had to overcome one of my biggest fears/quirks...

GOING TO THE MOVIES ALONE.

seriously, ALONE?

only loosers/dorks/people with no friends go
to the movies alone.

it appeared that i was to induct myself into
that group of people and FAST!

i grabbed my purse, girded up my loins and
drove to the theater.

i walked in, hat pulled down low and picked
the seat of my choice.

i then giggled as i looked around me and saw
at least 20 OTHER PEOPLE (adults!) sitting
ALL ALONE at the movies.

apparently you CAN go the movies alone. 

and NOT be a dork/looser/person with no friends.

it was a whole new experience for me and although i missed chatting with friends before the movie started i DID get to eavesdrop on the conversation of 3 ladies behind me.

they were dishing on the new LDS "church handbook" and expressing their taste (and distaste) at how some things had been changed.

NOTE TO SELF: be aware of what you say to your friends next time you go to the movies NOT alone--you never know who may be listening to
your conversations.  it MAY just be that lady sitting all alone in the black hat in front of you.

i really loved the movie and can't wait for Part 2, next July.

Who knows, i may even go see it alone.

4 comments:

Libbi said...

the more alone Wayne is at the movies the better.
He could sit there all day without a friend in sight.

P.S. I've never seen a Harry Potter Movie - I know full dork mode.

nielsons*love*family said...

hmmm, should i call wayne next time? we could sit a few seats apart and then i wouldn't feel quite so anxious about being alone.

besides that, he could save my seat if i had to run to the bathroom. it happens sometimes, you know. :O)

samandbrodi said...

Going to the move alone? Yep, I used to do it all the time. No problem with it. Be alone and Be proud.

I will admit it though - I have never read the Harry Potter books and I think that I have only seen 2 of the movies. But Bro and I did go to Opening Weekend of the first Harry Potter in London years and years ago, at the huge Leicester Square movie theater. It was nuts and expensive but a lot of fun.

nielsons*love*family said...

sam-wow! who knew?! so many COOL people actually go to the movies alone...

i guess i'm cool now! and NOT a dork! :O)