Monday, April 20, 2009

banishing the dust bunnies....

Spring is in the air! It is the time when all "good people" clean their homes from top to bottom. The problem with "all good people" is that I apparently do not fall into that catagory.



...of "all good people".

(Although I am CERTAIN with some hired help, I could make tremendous strides forward in this area of my life.) Since I have admitted a small sampling of my faults in past blog posts, I am here to hang my head in shame and admit another....

Our home has dusty blinds. And not just ordinary dusty blinds, but extraordinary dusty blinds.

Now while my home is probably never (ok most certainly NEVER!) "eat off the floors" clean, I would say it is "well maintained". (it includes a weekly cleaning of all rooms and floors, vacuuming, dusting,sloshing through the toilets, emptying of garbages, all those good things). I am not mortified when people drop by "unannounced" at my home. (Well, the exeption for this rule would be my mother in law. I am usually in some higher state of "uncleanliness" the nights she chooses to drop by-- but then again, she clearly falls into a whole seperate and elevated catagory of "clean"! While hers is "celestial" clean, mine borders more on a "telestial" level of clean!)

However, the fact that I have sadly neglected my blinds for *ahem* a while now was brought to my attention by a wee 2 year old child who tried to eat the dust bunnies (as in frightening and freakishly large, the "stuff nightmares are made of" sized dust bunnies) as they literally fell from my blinds one day last week...and clobbered her on the head. She was knocked to the floor by them and possibly unconscious for a moment or two. (that has yet to be verified by medical personel).



It is possible she went after them, assuming in her mind, that they were some mutant remnant of oversided Easter Peeps, still waiting to be found in my blinds. Overlooked somehow in the excitement of Easter festivities.


This sweet child (who happens to still be alive after being assaulted by said bunnies as they fell from my blinds, and inhaling the noxious fumes, er, fluffs of dust!) brought upon my soul much mortification and embarrassment. To think that she was witness to such things in her young life. I pray for her daily, that she will recover from the experience.

I was horrified, and ashamed, and I am quite certain I blushed deeply, an appropriate shade of scarlet.

How could I, as keeper of my home, have neglected the blinds for SO LONG?

They sit there so quietly day after day. They let the light in, or shut it out, depending on their mood. They give us insight to the passing of the seasons. The comings and goings of the neighbors in their daily activities. Pale and white against the windows--so pale, in fact, that they blend in, and one *almost* forgets that they exist. Surely, they do their job well and deserve to be rewarded with a wipe down now and again. Right?

I say it loud and say it clear, I had failed my blinds!


I am here to proclaim however, that my humiliation led to action, motivated me to move, challenged me to change and that my blinds are now officially clean....

...as in "eat off of with a spoon" clean. As in, they would "make my mother in law super proud" clean--yup, they are really, really clean!

They have been sanitized, windexed, vacuumed, rubbed down, and towelled off. I have chased dust bunnies for several hours today and am the proud new owner of virtually spotless blinds. They once again hang proudly, their slats are held a bit higher than yesterday, perhaps. (could be because the sheer weight of the dust has been removed from them too)

Truth be told, the sun is shining brighter through my now clean windows and my dust free blinds.

I am thinking of inviting people over to view the newly clean blinds.

Maybe I will serve rabbit stew?




6 comments:

Heather said...

well at least you have taken action, something i have not done and i do have extra help.

in the future maybe try this...i heard it from a relative a long time ago before blinds were something i needed to look after...take them down and wash them in the shower, then let them dry. apparently it's easy peasy!

nielsons*love*family said...

so i should shower with the blinds, eh?? lmbo--that could make for a good blog post too! LOL!! LOL!!

6deans said...

I am glad to know I am not the only one that doesn't dust the blinds enough...I mean the bummer thing is dust never goes away...you can take all afternoon and clean them and in a week or two they will be dusty again :)

Stephie said...

Let's just say I didn't clean mine until I was moving. It was. . .um . . .years! LMBO!!! I love you Dor! XOXOXO

Tricia said...

LOL!!! This is my absolutely FAVORITE post yet!!!! Can I just copy it and post it to MY blog? Please??? Sad to say it, but those bunnies are at my house and I'd venture to say mine are a lot BIGGER! You are the best! =)

Libbi said...

Great Post! Loved it!
Now if I could just get going and clean...or blog. (uuugh)